It is important that you take the proper steps in the aftercare regime before enjoying the outcome of your scalp pigmentation treatment. Failing to do so can minimise the effectiveness of your results and can even cause damage to your health.
The scalp micropigmentation process is quite similar to that of getting a tattoo. In essence, you are getting a tattoo on your scalp, but with a different target and outcome in this case.
Scalp Micro Pigmentation Aftercare
After the process is completed, you will grow new skin over the top layer, and this is what makes the outcome of the process look as natural as possible.
After the treatment is completed, life will take a little bit of a rest by the side of the road before continuing on your usual path. This is what you will need to do avoid over the next few days.
- Touching your scalp (unless absolutely necessary);
- Wearing a cap, hat, helmet, or any other article of headwear that could irritate and rub your scalp;
- Exposing your head to any sunlight;
- Excessive sweating, such as from exercise;
- Washing your scalp;
- Shaving your scalp;
After this initial period of a few days, your scalp will have begun to heal and adjust to its new pigmentation. However, there are still steps you must follow, in order to achieve proper aftercare of your scalp micropigmentation procedure. For the next two weeks after your treatment, you should:
- Wash your scalp daily, with water only;
- Moisturise your scalp daily, with an alcohol-free moisturiser (we recommend Palmer’s Cocoa Butter);
- Shave your head gently, with care not to be abrasive;
- Apply sunscreen with at least SPF30 to your head, if you go into bright and direct sunlight;
- Wear a swimming cap when you swim;
- Avoid sweating excessively;
- Do not itch, pick, or scratch your scalp.
After a fortnight has passed, you should:
- Wash and moisturise your scalp daily;
- Take care when shaving your scalp;
- Apply sunscreen with at least SPF30 when you go into strong sunlight.
In the immediate aftermath of your treatment, the pigmentation of your treatment will appear darker. The true and final colour will appear one week after your final session. While the pigmentation may appear paler at first, due to the healing skin obscuring the colour, under no circumstances should you pursue further micropigmentation procedures in the four-week period after ending your treatment.
From day 10 to infinity.
Depending on how quickly you heal from injuries, the 10th day will usually mean that you have sufficiently healed enough to return to your daily grind. How your healing has progressed thus far will determine how soon you will be scheduled for your next appointment.
As is the case with the previous session, the practitioner will ask you to give your head a good wash, this time with shampoo or something that works for your skin, and to also get a haircut. You should note that spending too much time under the sun is likely to irritate your scalp. Also, don’t be alarmed to notice that the scalp tattoo will have faded a little bit after the first session. This is quite par for the course.